Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Snowshoe!!

Last night I did something I’ve been wanting to do for years. I went showshoeing.

At night.

With a group of strangers.

OK, those last two aren’t things I’ve wanted to do for years, but it was fine.

P1040391

My feet in snowshoes – after the hike. If you look closely, you can see my orange Nike+ chip in my right boot (camera left), in the middle of the lace loop. Yes, I’m obsessed w/ my Nike+ chip.

Have y’all heard of meetup.com? From their website:

“Meetup is the world's largest network of local groups. Meetup makes it easy for anyone to organize a local group or find one of the thousands already meeting up face-to-face. More than 2,000 groups get together in  local communities each day, each one with the goal of improving themselves or their communities.

“Meetup's mission is to revitalize local community and help people around the world self-organize. Meetup believes that people can change their personal world, or the whole world, by organizing themselves into groups that are powerful enough to make a difference.”

So, inspired by some of my SparkPeople friends who have been having a blast w/ their local meetup groups, I joined a few local Vancouver groups, and I went on my first meetup last night. The Outdoor Girls went to Mt. Seymour’s SnowFit snowshoe fitness … event(?), class(?), thing: “For those looking for a great workout, don't miss SnowFit! This focused 90 minute fitness hike held on Tuesday evenings is geared for those who are looking for a beginner to intermediate fitness routine within a group setting.” It was more like 60 min. on the trail, but it was AWESOME!

It was a cool night – not overly cold, but I was glad I left my gortex shell in the snowshoe hut b/c we quickly warmed up.  We went on a fairly easy hike, by hiking standards down by Flower Lake. Since it has been such a mild winter, Flower Lake was not frozen over. It was icy w/ a layer of fresh snow on it, but not frozen over.

snowshoe_map_web (Click on the map to see it larger.)

We headed out from the snowshoe hut down the dotted Trail A (Goldie Lake Loop, in the summer), & then took a right turn on Trail I, picked up Trail H, & then left turn on Trail G & went around Flower Lake a second time. (Goldie Lake is by trail marker D on the map above)

There were about 15-20 people there, including the 7 from the meetup group. We split into two groups – the more intense work-out group, which focused on keeping a higher cardio rate by running and stuff, and the other group, the moseying group. Guess which one I was in?

Only because it was my first time on snowshoes.

I wanted to see what it was all about before I tried to get a real butt-kicking of a work-out.

And I guess the more intense group was a butt-kick, b/c twice people from that group joined ours – including girls who were there w/ people in the Cardio Core Bootcamp!

I have signed up for the March 2 SnowFit, and I think I’m gonna try the more intense level, comfortable in the knowledge that I can go back to the Moseyers if & when needed…

So, what did I think of snowshoeing??

I LOVED IT!!

Ohmygoodness, it was so much fun! It’s basically hiking – in the snow – w/ big, flat things tied to the bottom of your boots. There’s a claw-like crampon-type thing under the snowshoe to give you traction so you don’t slip around very much.

Like I said above, the night was cool (probably around the freezing mark, if not a little colder), but we quickly warmed up. I was wearing my running pants (heavier than tights) w/ my waterproof pants over. I had my long-john top, then a long-sleeve running top, & a fleece vest, which I jettisoned at our 2nd water break. My best investment – a fleece headband (under $3 at the Bargain Shop!) that covers my ears. So much better than a tuque. I lose so much heat thru my head that I get really hot in a tuque. This was perfect. I wore my old hiking boots b/c my new ones are low-tops, like runners, & they were fine.

P1040393 Happy Nancy after the hike, sporting the loaner head lamp.

Y’all. Snowshoeing is easy. If you can walk, you can snowshoe. Of course we didn’t have much powder. Only 7cm, & that was the first since NOVEMBER! And the Olympics start here in 9 days? Come on!

And it was beautiful. Even at night. There was snow in the trees, every now & then sprinkling down on us to cool our red faces. Our headlamps lit the trail & the surrounds, making the trail markers and the reflective strips on everyone’s fitness clothing glow.  Every now & then we would look up & see 5 or 6 dots of light coming towards us – the other group.

And then, as we were walking back to the snowshoe hut at the end, we came to a clearing:

P1040389 Ah… Nature! The Fairyland lights of Metro Vancouver on a beautiful, clear night.

Have I said how much fun this was?? I can’t wait ‘til March 2 when we do it again. And maybe I can get up there sometimes before that in the daylight.

5 comments:

  1. TOTALLY groovy - and I didn't understand a LICK of your wardrobe terminology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... I guess y'all don't have long johns & long-sleeve in Texas??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very awesome!!!! I did understand your wardrobe and am yuppy enough to say that I was glad I was not there or I would have called Stacey and Clinton in on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flower Lake, hmmm sounds nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! It's something I've always wanted to do as well. I guess technology's allowed snowshoes to be smaller than they used to be, eh? Just so you know, I have an award for you. You have to check out today's blog entry by me in order to receive it. Blessings! :D It's Michelle - I can't get my WordPress ID to work properly. The address for my blog on which the award is shown is http://mejknowles.wordpress.com. :)

    ReplyDelete