Thursday, June 25, 2009

Grass Lake

It’s interesting how either Rich or I am “on” on a certain day, but not both at the same time. He has a good hiking day while I struggle. I have a good hike, while he struggles. Yesterday was the prior, while today was the latter. What is so amazing & great, however, is that we are hiking consecutive days. Three days, three hikes. This was impossible when we visited the Canadian Rockies last year. Between my knee & Rich’s hamstring, we were forced a day off for healing after a hiking day. So far this summer, we are both healthy & are able to hike day after day after day after day after day.

Today’s hike had nothing to do w/ Lake Tahoe. Once we turned off the main road onto Fallen Leaf Road, we left the big blue lake behind us. Oh my. Fallen Leaf Road. A 5-mile single lane road that skirts the edge of Fallen Leaf Lake. On the road is a resort, several (many) private residences, home construction & subsequent vehicles, and two-way traffic. On a road that’s barely wide enough in some spots for one vehicle. It was a hair-raising ride into the trailhead. But after backing the car down the road & not into the lake (literally on lake edge!) to let one of those honking big p/up trucks thru, we finally made it to the trailhead, & not for the first time, the last parking spot therein.

One quick sidenote… If you’re driving down a narrow, one-lane road (consequently, we later encountered a “Road Narrows” sign. How narrow can a 2-way road get??) & you have a pull-out opportunity in the face of oncoming traffic, please take it. The aforementioned honking big p/up truck passed a driveway which he could have pulled over into, while in sight of us.  But nooooo! Mr. Road Hog Too Big For Daily Use Pick Up Truck had to come straight at us. I called him a name that I will not repeat on this forum.

We now return back to the hike.

Great hike! I loved it! Two lakes, lots of waterfalls, three river crossings, storm threat. It was easier terrain, the weather was cooler. We walked along streams, through rugged, arid wasteland (for lack of better word), thru forests. Great fun. All in five miles (out & back). Rich had a hard day.

The 2nd river crossing was a bit “tricky,” according to one hiking book. Two logs crossing over a rapid-flowing river which we later discovered was actually the top of a (short) waterfall.

P1020016

Rich had a hard time. But he made it. I went back to retrieve his pack, but he made it, & I’m very proud of him.  I wound up crossing that blasted log 6 times. I finally got the hang of it by the 6th time.

 P1020020
Heading back across to get Rich’s pack. (Why did I make this picture bigger??)

P1020023 P1020028
With his pack, wondering how I’m gonna get back across again & nearing the end of the crossing.

P1020029

 This is where the river we just crossed was heading.

 

 

 

 

 

 

P1020034 
Grass Lake.

P1020035





Waterfall at Grass Lake

 








P1020037
Still Grass Lake

P1020043

Happier Rich on the car side of the river. No more crossings for Rich! Yay!

 

 

 

 





P1020012

 

 

A little out of order. We once again entered the Desolation Wilderness. This was about 1.5 miles into the hike.

 

 

 

P1020041 
This is the Desolation Wilderness. Picture old westerns. I was half expecting cowboys & outlaws to be hiding along the trail somewhere. “Bonanza” was set in this area, after all.

Tomorrow is our last full day at Lake Tahoe. It’s gone by quickly. We’re debating about whether to head up to Squaw Valley & poke around up there or maybe tackle some of the lighter portions of the Tahoe Rim Trail.

062509 Grass Lake
My very quick Photoscape of today’s hike. Now doesn’t this look like fun?? (BTW, the lizard is NOT allowed to move in w/ us! LOL)

2 comments:

  1. I only have one thing to say.....nice butt shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures...thank you so much for sharing! I'm sure that it was really hard to leave Lake Tahoe. The hiking looks FABULOUS, but being a water-baby, I'm sure I would have been down below in the lake as well, canoeing or whatnot.
    Can't wait to see your beach pics - makes me long for it!

    ReplyDelete